There’s no better way to stay warm in the winter than with a nice cup of homemade hot chocolate. Making your own hot chocolate is easier and tastier than using packaged alternatives. Follow these simple hot cocoa recipes to stay warm and put yourself in the holiday spirit this winter.
Creamy Hot Chocolate
What you’ll need:
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- combine the cocoa powder, sugar and a pinch of salt together in a saucepan.
- Stir the boiling water into a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously. Be careful not to scorch the mixture.
- Stir 3 1/2 cups milk into the mixture and heat until the entire combination is very hot. Do not boil the mixture.
- Remove the entire combination from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Disperse the mixture between four mugs.
- Add the cream into the mugs to cool it to a desirable drinking temperature.
White-Hot Hot Chocolate
What you’ll need:
- 6 ounces white chocolate (chopped)
- 3 1/2 cups 2-percent milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Warm a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water. Place the white chocolate in the bowl.
- Let the chocolate melt while stirring occasionally. Stir the cayenne pepper and cinnamon into the mix.
- Whisk the egg into the mixture until smooth.
- Gradually whisk one cup of milk into the mixture until it is completely incorporated (about 2 minutes)
- Whisk in the remaining milk and heat the mixture until it’s hot but not boiling.
- Serve when the hot chocolate has reached your desired drinking temperature. Garnish with cinnamon.
Visit Jack Link’s Auto
Stop by Jack Link’s Auto today to test drive a new vehicle or to schedule maintenance service.