Cooking up a hot pot of soup at home is a great way to bring your family together and help everyone stay cozy on cold winter days. And since January is National Soup Month, there’s no better time to get cooking than now.
This hearty and delicious split pea soup with chorizo is one that is easy to cook and is guaranteed to wow your guests. And because it only takes 15 minutes to prepare and 105 minutes to cook, you don’t have to miss out time with your family to make a dish your entire family will enjoy.
Split Pea and Chorizo Soup
What you’ll need:
- 4 ounces of cured chorizo (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place a large pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Brown the chorizo in the pot with oil for roughly 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the onion and cook until the onion is softened (roughly four to six minutes).
- Stir the chicken broth into the pot, then add the split peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover your soup and allow it to simmer.
- Stir occasionally and continue cooking until the peas are tender. It should take about 1 to 1.5 hours for your peas to get tender.
- Pour your soup into four serving bowls and enjoy.
Stop by Jack Link Ford
Stop by Jack Link Ford today to give a new car or truck a test drive or to schedule some maintenance service on your current ride.